Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Deeper Dig . . .

I've spent the last few days reading other classmates' posts regarding the Community Literacy Dig, along with re-reading the assignment instructions and blog rubric.  Obsessing?  Maybe a bit, but I felt the need to see how to connect my observations with reading and writing.  As I read the blogs of my other team members (Tina, Amy, Julie, and Paige), I realized how much my observations related to theirs.  The one thing that stands out the most is that the people I saw at this store were from a pretty homogeneous group, and the apparent literacy examples (or lack thereof) reflect that fact.

What I feel I've gained most from this assignment, though, is the exposure to the various ways that different classmates chose to present their information.  I have read some beautifully crafted creative-writing pieces, a wonderfully organized article with subtitles and photos, and an intriguing investigative report while learning a bit more about the great diversity we have in our cohort.  Anyone else seeing a multi genre connection?

No comments:

Post a Comment