Monday, October 25, 2010

Poetry and Invitations

         I rarely read other people’s blog posts before composing my own, but it was interesting to do so this week.  Most of us had similar thoughts regarding the writing of poetry before completing Chapter 4: Poetic Surprises and now realize that the creation of poetic works doesn’t have to be so scary.  I really enjoyed the examples given and feel that they allow for an easy introduction to creative expression.  I feel that it’s important to expose students to a wide range of poems, and musical lyrics are a great way to get kids, especially older ones, to realize the emotions conveyed through the use of words.  Maybe that’s just because while I can’t think of many poems that I know by heart, I can definitely recite many song lyrics that I find to be exceptional and think that kids may be able to relate to them also. 
          The “I Am A Person” poems have always been one of my favorite parts of the beginning of the school year at Templeton.  It’s amazing to read how kids define themselves and how those definitions change through the grade progressions.  A third-graders’ self-perception is nowhere near as deep as a sixth-graders’, and I find it interesting that they are so willing to not only express themselves but also do so knowing that those poems will be posted in the hallway for all to read.  The use of poetry doesn’t have to be so personal, but I believe that kids appreciate the opportunity to share intimate thoughts in this accepted manner.
          On a completely different note, I have not taken the trade books class, so I am also a bit confused about exactly what a reading invitation is.  I’ll admit, I had a very busy weekend and thought that maybe I’ve just missed something, but it was very reassuring to me to read that others are just as confused as I am.  While I guess I can appreciate the information and the reflective thought questions at the end of the article, I’m curious to find out what it is that they’re talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment