Sunday, October 10, 2010

Researching for MGRP

     My initial attempts to research an interesting topic regarding language arts failed miserably!  I tried every internet search engine I could come up with, including scholar.google and the library resources link from the L549 web site, but kept coming up empty.  Really – how hard should it be to come up with information regarding Tucker Signing Strategies?  I’ve seen this program in action and felt it would be relevant to my field experience working in a first-grade classroom, but all roads led to offers to purchase the book and/or program.  No, thanks. 

          I next tried to research DOL (daily oral language) since I’ve seen this program in action, also, and was curious to read what the general professional consensus is regarding this topic.  Once again, I was running into walls, despite the additional advice received via e-mail from Dr. Wohlwend after a somewhat pathetic electronic cry for help.

          Well, I have now rationalized my failed attempts away!  A classmate in P540:Learning and Cognition in Education started talking about Vygotsky and the use of reciprocal learning in the classroom.  That’s it!  That’s why I was unable to find any pertinent information on my initial topics – I was meant to write about reciprocal learning!  This topic allows me to really write a multigenre piece since I can use the same information for both my P540 paper AND my L549 paper! 

          Thank goodness for those wasted hours of research . . .

          By the way, I have had huge success researching multiple topics by starting at www.ncte.org.  As it is now, I have way more information than probably necessary but am really enjoying reading it all.  Hope you’re all feeling comfortable, enthusiastic, and productive about your researching, too!

4 comments:

  1. I loved P540! I found a lot of information that caused me to look at the way my little preschoolers were learning differently. So fun. My favorite tidbit from that class was when the instructor told us that adults learn best the same way children learn best, but for some reason we expect adults to get as much from listening to a lecture as we expect kids to get from a hands-on activity. Weird, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked in a Kindergarten classroom a couple of years ago, I learned the Tucker Signing and absolutely loved it. I am working in a Kindergarten classroom again this semester and this past week was working with a child on letter sounds. This classroom hasn't used Tucker Signing and the entire time I was trying to help him remember what a letter sounds like I was having to remind myself that my goofy looking signing is not helping him! I just found it funny that I was still using the signing as a way to sound out the letters! I am happy you have found a topic to research however! It sounds like it will be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I know a lot about Tucker signing so I am excited to learn about your findings when you present.

    Also, thanks for searching tip! I'll have to check the website out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some times topics that are very specific prove difficult but I'm glad you found a topic. Peer teaching and learning is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete