Saturday, October 2, 2010

What? That's It?

I'm going to miss reading "Crafting Writers K-6" each week.  It is a very inspirational book in many ways, and I am a sucker for a good inspirational book!  Along with giving us great ideas on how to teach crafting, Ms. Hale has also given us many important tips on how to create a warm, welcoming, effective classroom. 

Ms. Hale once again stressed the importance of being specific, not only in teaching but also in assessing.  I’m sure we’ve all experienced the anxiety of wondering if what we’re about to turn in will meet the expectations of the instructor, and “Crafting Writers” gives some clear examples of ways to be sure that your students know what to do .  How simple is it to have them repeat back the "what and why" of the conference?  Once the students realize that you will expect this response after every conference, they will be much more motivated to be engaged! 

I really appreciated the use of other examples when pointing out a writer’s strengths.  It makes sense to me that, while you may have just praised a student and think you have clearly described why they are receiving that praise, another example of the specific craft they used can help cement that skill.  The section regarding topic choice was meaningful to me, also, since I’ve struggled myself trying to help a student choose a topic to write about.  Teaching strategies of how to come up with ideas is another simple yet awesome piece of advice that I know will help me and my future students tremendously.

As many of us have discussed, the readings for our various classes have consistently reminded us to keep building students' self-confidence to motivate them to want to be learners, and many of the teaching tips lend to that same concept.  Being specific about expectations, allowing the sharing of ideas in group conferences, decorating notebooks, allowing students to assess a sample writing using a rubric - all of these activities help the students feel more in control. 

Insights into student behavior are evident in many ways throughout the last three chapters.  Having just attended the Armstrong Panel discussion regarding classroom management, these insights were even more evident.  Once again, it’s simple things that can make a huge difference, such as allowing the privilege of choosing a reading spot, being sure that all eyes are on you during instruction, and meeting on the rug to remove distractions.   My favorite, though,  is knowing when to take an “intermission”.  Sometimes, kids just need to get up and move and talk and be kids!  It’s hard to remember, sometimes, especially when faced with the dilemmas and discourses discussed in Dr. Wohlwend’s article, but I think letting loose in the classroom every once in a while creates a more comfortable atmosphere that will lead to a more productive learning environment.

2 comments:

  1. Jill, I agree with you that it is important for us to become comfortable letting our students find other places in the room to work. I know that as an adult I get a bit restless if I have to sit for too long. Why would I expect that my students do it if I can't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both. I've talked with several people about the importance of allowing kids to move around during the school day. With the absence of everyday physical education from schools, I think its crucial that kids have some letting go time or "intermission" in the classroom. Hale's "intermission" reminded me of my work as a sub in another school. One teacher that I worked near had at least two "dance breaks" during her class daily. One usually in the middle of the hour and a half literacy block and on right before math. The freedom to take a break, move around and have a little letting loose time seemed to really focus her kids when it came time to put their scholar caps back on.

    ReplyDelete